Friday, May 16, 2025

A Surprise Box and the State of Affairs in the US

 A Surprise Box and The State of Affairs in the US


This box turned up on the sidewalk directly across the street from my house. For the past nine days, I have watched as many people have stopped to check out the box. I'm sure they all thought they found some prize, a box that fell off an Amazon truck or out of a car. One by one they took a look and moved on. 

Cars drove by and backed up to stop and look. Many people have also been out walking in the neighborhood with dogs and kids in this beautiful weather. Every one of them looked, but not one person bothered to pick up the box to place it in a proper receptacle. When they realized it was empty, they just left it there, for someone else.
 
It made me think about all the absolute shit that is going on here within our government. Some days I think I’m in an alternate reality and will wake up and realize it was all just a dream. An old lady can wish can’t she?!?

Some days it’s a struggle to see all the hate and racism and cheating and lying and corruption and more, all being normalized. I try to limit my time taking stuff in. Heartbreaking to see what so many of us thought was many years of forward progress being destroyed in a few short months. Peoples history being erased and destroyed. In some case peoples actual existence is being denied. What the actual fuck???. It’s hard to see, to be here to experience this time in our history. I would have never imagined this to happen in the USA.

The worst part for me is to see the people around me true colors. There is no agree to disagree with this as it is about values, morals, and human rights. You can’t hide where you stand and I will not support hate. But irregardless, what strikes me is the apathy by so many. Like the box. I’m sure if there was something in it, it would’ve been gone in an hour. But instead, it lingered outside until I retrieved it yesterday to put in my recycle bin.

I’ve been working on slowing down and trying to notice the moments. As I was about to finally give the box a proper do over into recycling, I noticed some words. I smiled and I went to grab my cell camera to capture what I found. 


Grown with Love. Farm Fresh Flowers 🌹♥️


Their company statement: Our philosophy is simple: we care about people, our planet, and the process of growing flowers……….🌹 🌎 πŸ‘©πŸ½‍🌾😁


I’m not trashy! Recycle me. Color me. Store secret treasures. The possibilities are endless!

I have to say this box was delightful to find. It made me smile. It made me take pictures. It was so fun and wonderful and I appreciated all that this company put on the outside of their box. Hidden right there in plain sight. I saved the best for last…


Love First. Flowers second. Kindness always❣️

I hope that all of those people who stopped for their “prize find”, actually noticed what a gift that box was. I doubt many did. Such a sad state of affairs. But a glimmer of hope for me here, proof that kindness and caring do still exist out there. 

A simple box, empty and leftover from Mother's Day, rained on, kicked, run over and abandoned on the sidewalk for nine days, just waiting. Definitely not trash but a little unexpected kindness on cardboard out there for any and all who might take a minute to actually look! Random acts of kindness, so needed in these challenging times we are living. 

5.16.25

No comments:

Post a Comment

                                    Unexpected… This year I have been struggling with my health. It’s not something I am accustomed to, so l...