Wednesday, May 14, 2025

New Growth

New Growth


 Neuroplasticity is defined by Webster’s Medical Dictionary as the capacity of the brain to develop and change throughout life, something Western science once thought impossible.

I find the last 6 words of that an interesting statement. It made me smile as for me as this is what I was taught in school. That our brains had a fixed number of cells and once those died we were just shit out of luck. 

The threat of killing our brain cells was a huge factor used in the “war on drugs” here in the US starting in the 80s with the Nancy Regan seal of approval. Nancy says just say no and the infamous commercials of showing a brain and a fried egg saying this is your brain, this is your brain on drugs. We use what we have at the time. Thankful it really isn’t true and we can grow and reroute those neurons(brain cells)

As a former A&P teacher and someone who worked in the operating room for 30 years, the brain has always fascinated me. I have been fortunate to actually see inside people’s brains, seeing cerebral spinal fluid being produced and released from the choroid plexi was so unbelievable. I could nerd out anytime on human anatomy. The human body is an amazing thing in so many way. Keeps me so curious and why I continue to love to learn about it.

Thank goodness scientists stay curious. I’m definitely thankful for their continuing to unlock the mysteries of the human body, especially the brain. We have made many strides but still so much unknown about this marvel we call our brain. The technology has enabled us to now have the ability to actually see neurons firing and rerouting and growing in real time. YouTube is the place to check if you like this type of stuff. Even in my retirement I often can’t get enough of new findings of the brain. Check this out:




Why am I writing about the brain, neurons, and neuroplasticity today???? Because I had a realization of it actually happening to me. Say what? 

 I am all about facts as they are safe. My cognition demands proof and knowledge sometimes a bit too rigidly but none the less still helpful for where I am or where I am trying to go. I have talked in depth about awareness of my own system and patterns but sometimes a new revelation hits hard.

That was me yesterday, realizing that I had planted some seeds for change and they actually have started to sprout. On January 1, while I was struggling trying to recover my health, I wrote about two words that kept coming up for me- safety and secrets. I explored them a bit to see what might be helpful. See post titled 2025 published 1.1.25 or click here to read both:


I have been seeing a new therapist for a couple weeks now and as I mentioned in my previous post I have just found the ability to talk without filtering. That might sound strange, but it is my usual MO to hold back, to test for safety, and then keep holding it all in until my light turns green. That can sometimes take me many months. But not this time.

I am trying to approach this new adventure in therapy in a different way. When you do parts work you spend a lot of time with those parts that try so hard to protect you. To be able to get the wounded parts/exiles, you must work with all their protectors which can be a painfully slow process but cannot be bypassed in order to create change and healing. 

I made a personal observation that my system seems to be functioning a bit backwards recently. What I mean is all those critics, protectors, have been for them quiet, simply taking a back seat and observing for the most part. This has allowed all those wounds, exiles, to be present and show up in ways they never have, to be able to communicate and begin to find ways to change.

Change can be difficult so I am going to use the word update as it feels much better in my system. But what really struck me was when I realized my system wasn't backwards at all. It was right where I asked to be back in January. I'm talking about those 2 words, safety and secrets. 

An internal alarm went off because I have been able to be more open pretty quickly. I was so surprised but reflecting back I realized that I had planted those seeds of lessoning my load of secrets. And here I am actually doing it and recognizing, seeing, and knowing with my very own brain.  Facts. I created facts for myself!!!!! New growth, change, updates.

I go to therapy to find hope. I've been so weary of being let down especially by therapists, questioning the validity of the process and if it can still help me. I know it's a lot about the person I choose to try to help me and I will take this as an early gold star. 

I go to therapy to find hope. I found some this week so I choose to stay hopeful and keep fighting, keep looking, keep going.

I'll take that today. A win for me. A self-made win!

5.14.25 
Clicking the pictures will make them big and clear! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

                                    Unexpected… This year I have been struggling with my health. It’s not something I am accustomed to, so l...