Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Knowledge

 Knowledge 


I was recently fired from a job I was at for 4 years. I was let go because I don’t have any acceptable initials at the end of my name aka a degree. This was an interpretation of the accreditation rules and was mentioned to me 8 months ago. I was called, told of the “rule” and then they tried to strong arm into enrolling in a program. I politely declined. Not one other mention of this until I was called into a meeting and fired. 

To me this entire situation was handled so unprofessional. The company did some very questionable things to hide problems from the accreditation board. I was out on medical leave at the end of last year, which was approved. I came back, was called to a ZOOM meeting where I fired. My direct manager, the regional dean, HR, and campus director were all in attendance. Not one of them bothered to turn their camera on to speak with me. I was fired looking at a Zoom screen with dark boxes. That is fucked up. I was a good employee, always got good reviews and was even told there was no issue with my performance. 

Back to the degree. I guess I haven’t mentioned I’m an instructor. I teach at a career college(technical school) about the job I’ve been doing for 29 years. I’m almost ready to retire. Taking general education classes to finish a degree doesn’t make sense for me. It’s not going to make me a better teacher in the subject matter that I deal with. My results speak for themselves as my students do well and most are out in the world working in their new career.

I have no qualms with education. I respect your degrees and I consider myself a life long learner.  When something interests me I will soak up all I can about the subject. It just seems to me that we undervalue experience. I find that so unfortunate as peoples experiences are such wonderful lessons.

So let me ask….would you rather have an instructor with 29 years of actual experience in the field or 3 years and an Associate degree? 


2-7-23

No comments:

Post a Comment

                                    Unexpected… This year I have been struggling with my health. It’s not something I am accustomed to, so l...