Ups and Downs
Rest
I often say I’m living the roller coaster of life. It’s a good visual of reality, as life provides us a wide variety of experiences. We need all of them; good, bad, ugly, sad. I’ve ridden that roller coaster for many years but it’s different now. Being on Life’s Coaster with depression makes the dips go lower, darker, and the peaks are so much harder to climb. Many days are exhausting.
One of the most important things I’ve learned from my therapist is about rest. Yes it sounds simple but honestly I never truly understood that Rest is doing something. I need to repeat that.,, rest is doing something! My thoughts on rest used to tell me it was a waste of time. It never dawned on me to make it an actual activity. Not just an activity but one that is vital for good overall health of mind, body, and soul.
A big part of this is self awareness. Simply paying attention to what your thinking, what your body is saying. Stop and pause to assess. And then LISTEN 👂. When I actually started to do this I was so surprised by how many things I was trying to tell myself but just ignored. Not surprising since I don’t do a very good job taking care of myself.
Over the past months, I’ve gotten better at the listening for when I need rest. I try very hard to honor my need for rest as a part of my self healing. Rest can be as simple as take a few breaths or change the scenery, sit down or actually lay down and sleep. It’s a reprieve, a get away, a refresher. You’re not resting if your mind is racing!
My body has been telling me things for years and I hadn’t really heard a word it said. I guess the cancer demanded I change that. I must say I don’t believe I gave myself cancer but I do think it definitely was a desperate cry to self to wake up and make changes before it was too late. My health hasn’t been the best. Resting because I need it is now understood and utilized as a big part of my Self care.
I am starting to feel a tiny bit better. I’ll take it. Any healing is better than zero.
Who knew that you could learn about rest from your therapist? Thankful for the lessons
2-2-23

No comments:
Post a Comment