Saturday, September 4, 2021

                                    Unexpected…

This year I have been struggling with my health. It’s not something I am accustomed to, so learning to navigate the healthcare system as a patient has been truly eye opening. Trying to find answers and get treatment for the known has been my mission. Hip and back pain and massive migraines plague me daily along with other frustrating symptoms. COVID restrictions set me behind in finding and receiving treatment. At an appointment in May I asked for an order to get a mammogram as it had been awhile. I usually request a copy of the radiology report along with the films but this time I didn’t. I returned to my primary care about a week after the mammogram and was told everything was normal. I didn’t give it another thought. Two weeks later I received a letter from the imaging company asking me why I hadn’t followed up with as there was abnormal findings on my mammogram. I had another appointment the next day so I took the letter and questioned my provider. The answer I received was truly unacceptable. The truth was she never reviewed my scans. I knew I wouldn’t be coming back to that office. So I had to start again and find a new primary care in a hurry as this issue needed addressed ASAP. Not an easy task when you have to choose from a list in your insurance booklet. I got lucky and found a gem of a doctor. 

After a diagnostic and ultrasound sound and biopsy in July, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. So unexpected and difficult to hear. I had to now add cancer to my list of issues and it had to jump to the top priority. Thankfully I knew what surgeon I wanted to see and what my procedure choice would be. I was scheduled quickly and had my surgery two weeks ago. I am healing well from the surgery with a few to be expected issues. 

I am still waiting to know if I will need chemo. I am still waiting to know the course of radiation. I also might have a second surgery. I need more info before making my decision. As a patient, waiting is difficult. 

Please be your own advocate for your healthcare. Get a copy of your records and read what was written. Ask questions. Call your insurance company to get your out of pocket costs. While I mentioned the issue with my former primary care, I have had an issue with each provider I have dealt with along the way(except my surgeons office) from being over charged to scheduling mistakes to lack of communication. Stress is not my friend while I’m dealing with cancer. 

My mind is struggling to make sense of this all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

                                    Unexpected… This year I have been struggling with my health. It’s not something I am accustomed to, so l...