Habits, Addictions and January Part 2
In continuing my thoughts about habits and addictions I would be amiss if I didn’t talk about my use of different substances. It’s one of those secrets I hope to continue to speak about as I am able. So much hidden but only because of risk in life. Being retired lessens my risk of others knowing and makes it easier to share my experiences.
Obviously today I’m talking about cannabis, marijuana. I live in a fully legal state. Medical sales of marijuana started a dozen years ago but recreational is just starting year 5. So much has changed in my lifetime.
I smoked marijuana as a teen and throughout my 20s. When I went back to school and started an actual career, I walked away from all types substances and never looked back. That included alcohol as drinking was never much fun for me. Never touched any of it again until 2020 COVID.
What brought me here again? My health struggles, specifically chronic pain from arthritis throughout my body. I was forced to modify my career because of my health and found myself teaching again to support myself. I also started looking for ways to help myself feel better and decided to look into cannabis again.
Growing up in the late 60s and 70s, I purchased weed on the street corner or from someone’s third cousin on their mother’s side LOL. I never worried about anything being added that would harm me as that just wasn’t happening in my days. I always say I feel lucky to have survived my drugs use as a kid because I was very reckless. There was no fentanyl or anything similar that would’ve killed me like there is today. Angel dust was about the most dangerous thing aside from heroin and that was just us smoking PCP in our weed. Just FYI: Ketamine is an analog of PCP.
Walking into a dispensary my first time was so very bizarre. To see a whole entire store filled with weed was amazing and strange. To be shopping legally. To see so many different strains and products was beyond words for me. It has truly been an education to catch up with all that’s out there now. Four years later and it’s still a little weird to go to the cannabis store.
There is so much to learn. Lucky for me I love learning especially when I’m researching things for myself. The best thing about marijuana being legal in so many places now is how much information is out there that’s not coming from the DEA and drug abuse centers. I have no issue with warnings but I want unbiased information to make my own choices instead of the same old all drugs are bad message.
I believe everyone should make their own choices. Are there some negatives to marijuana use; absolutely! Most any substance can be abused but there’s also benefits that can be had. First thing I had to learn was about all the different forms available out there.
I used to buy flower and when available hash was a favorite. There weren’t multiple strains or forms; I bought whatever was offered. I don’t remember ever being unhappy as I purchased weed that came from Jamaica, Mexico, Colombia, Hawaii and wonderfully tasty golden hash from Afghanistan.
Now it’s all controlled grows whether indoors or outdoor. The genetic are also controlled and modified to what is wanted. Feminized seeds, auto flowering, indica, sativa- just a few of the terms. Harvest time can vary and affect the terpenes. Decarboxylation activated the THC and cannabinoids. Strains, cannabinoids, terpenes- all terms you want to be familiar with if you’re looking for specific effects. It’s been really a blast for me to be learning all this new stuff in my 60s.
Aside from all the variety of strains, the forms that are available are just as varied. I only ever smoked flower and hash. Of course we made brownies- we didn’t even know about decarboxylation and they still got us high.
Now there’s so many types of flower and edibles that come in all forms and shapes. There’s even a dispensary restaurant in my neighborhood that makes full meals with cannabis. Of course there’s vaping and concentrate that comes in shatter, badder, budder, sauce, oil, wax, rosin, live resin, diamonds, kief, and isolate. What the hell are all those things? Like I said it’s been quite an education.
One place for answers is the dispensary. Get yourself known by the bud tenders in your store and they have incredible knowledge to share with you. I’ve lived in my neighborhood for 39 years. I shop at the same places but the only store that knows my face and name is my dispensary. No other place keeps employees a\or seems to care about personal customer service. Sad really. But I enjoy being known there as it makes me feel welcome.
I have also been fortunate to meet a couple of people who are growers for the state and who have also worked in the industry since it started here in our state. They have been more than helpful and generous with all different kinds of on marijuana.
Another great educational tool is YouTube. Learning about the products and what they are hasn’t been difficult. Knowing how to use them was the mystery for me. I found a YouTube channel Senior Stoner and he reviews devices that use cannabis. There are so many ways but you need to know and understand how to consume. He shows you how to use the bongs, pipes and different dab-rigs as they’re called He’s quite the character and of course in my age group- just some old hippies enjoying the legal cannabis resurgence.
There’s also rolling a joint. We used Zig-Zag papers, that was it. Good to see Zig-Zag is still in business but now there’s grinders, cones, filters and rollers that seem mandatory. I still prefer rolling papers but I’ve finally figured out how to use cones LOL. So much has changed but some things seem fine the old fashioned way to me!
I have experimented with many things cannabis the last few years. I still enjoy smoking a good joint or blunt as they seem to be called these days but I also make my own tincture and FECO to use in edibles. I make into not only THC but utilize the different cannabinoids CBD, CBG, CBN. My favorite way to consume is in drinks and especially hot chocolate. I love the how it affects my body in such a positive way as long as I utilize the right strains for me. I also enjoy my baked goods. Brownies, banana bread, cookies, and muffins top my list but I like trying it in new things.
After much research ie using cannabis to figure out my levels, I have discovers that most strains that have blueberry genetics are friendly to all that ails me. Blue Dream, available to me locally is one of my all time favorites for effects. It truly is healing to me and that’s what I use it for. G-13 is another special strain I enjoy. Look that one up. If you’re old school, you’ll want to find some and try.
To sit here and say to you I’m strictly a medical user is just bullshit. I like to get high as much as anyone who smokes or uses. It’s just not my only reason for consumption. Making my body feel better by utilizing the entourage effect has been so helpful during my last 5 years of health challenges. Helping me sleep is another benefit for me
Unwanted effects for me? Yes I am aware there is some. I would say I can definitely become unmotivated by getting too high. As long as I’m not using that as an excuse to rest I do OK. It’s hard for me to bullshit myself so I know my intentions and I try keep them internally clear. I’m retired. I can be buzzed all day if I want or I can just find relief within daily functioning. Neither is wrong or bad; it just depends on the day, how I feel, and what I want.
Does cannabis help my depression? I don’t have a yes or no answer for that. Still up in the air as I think some days yes and some days no. It’s about awareness but more complicated.
Can there be other unwanted effects? Yes again, I am fully aware of the reports and studies out there but I also feel like I’m pretty responsible and do put harm reduction in place for myself no matter what I am doing. I also take T breaks to keep my endocannabinoid system in its optimal functioning state.
There’s much more I’d like to share on this topic and also other substances. I will get there. How about Snoop having his own strains and he’s not the only celebrity to be in the cannabis game.
Have I thought about quitting? Yes and no. I would say at this point for me the benefits outweigh the concerns. I try to stay aware of my ever changing states of health- physical and mental.
So how about you? Yay or nay? Is cannabis a helpful part of your life?
ISO Day 15. Solitude of retirement. Struggling. Trying my best.
1.14.25





No comments:
Post a Comment